Today we have got an amazing and interesting collection of Haiti Earthquake facts and figures that will blow your mind for sure.
Every day the earth is shaken by hundreds of small earthquakes, most go unnoticed. These earthquakes usually occur along the boundaries of thin plate’s covering the earth like an eggshell.
The surface of the earth is made up of 20 plates that can move constantly , driven by the heat within the earth’s core the plates lined against each other on long lines called faults and when these plates find their motion blocked, stress builds up and the released energy rises through the earth in the form of waves and movement of plates creates a force shaking the earth called Earthquake.
Haiti earthquake date: January 12, 2010.
2010 Haiti earthquake plate boundary: Its boundary lies on the boundary of North America and Caribbean.
Haiti earthquake 2010 size: 7.0 on the Richter Scale
2010 Haiti Earthquake Facts
Here is a list of most shocking and unbelievable Haiti Earthquake facts.
- RED CROSS donated 103 million dollars.
- To help people of Haiti, Walmart also donated 600,000 dollars.
- Before the earthquake, Haiti was considered as one of the poorest countries in the world. Over 70 percent of the population was living under the poverty line.
- Over 4,000 schools were destroyed or damaged, amounting to about a quarter of the island’s schools.
- 2010 Haiti earthquake facts shows, it struck the most developed and populated area of the country.
- After the major earthquake measuring 7.0, aftershocks were also a great problem. According to an estimation 52 aftershocks has been recorded.
- More than 250,000 homes collapsed.
- Haiti Earthquake 2010 facts and figures explain that it caused more than 100,000 deaths.
- Almost 30,000 commercial buildings were damaged.
If these 2010 Haiti earthquake facts gave you so much to learn then you should also consider reading Earthquake Facts on our website Interesting Facts. Feel free to use the comment box below if you have any quires.