Here are 5 things you should know.
1. If you miss the total eclipse this year, the next total eclipse for the U.S. is on April 08, 2024 and will travel from the southwest to the northeast.
Here is the NASA website for the eclipse prediction. As you can see, the eclipse path is almost the exact opposite as this year’s path, so many more people who were not able to make arrangements for the eclipse this year will have the opportunity to see it closer to home.
2. Some urinal screens have splashback prevention features built into it.
Try to aim your pee directly on it to prevent that nasty splash back.
3. QuestBridge is a nonprofit organization that matches low-income students to high tier universities.
College applications are coming up and not enough people know about QuestBridge! They match low-income students who are doing well in high school to upper level colleges and universities in the United States, often getting full scholarships to Ivy Leagues and other great schools. The application is more extensive than the Common App but it’s worth it. Check it out if you’re a parent or a student.
Visit www.questbridge.org to find out more.
4. Unpaid internships where the employer derives any immediate benefit are Federally illegal.
They are required to pay you if you do any real work.
Here are the six criteria from the Department of Labor, all of which an unpaid internship must pass in order to be legal.
1. The internship, even though it includes the actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to training which would be given in an educational environment.
2. The internship experience is for the benefit of the intern.
3. The intern does not displace regular employees but works under close supervision of existing staff.
4. The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern, and on occasion, its operations may actually be impeded.
5. The intern is not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the internship.
6. The employer and the intern understand that the intern is not entitled to wages for the time spent in the internship.
There have been many high profile lawsuits where unpaid interns have received compensation for their illegal employment. Viacom settled for $7.2 million, and NBCUniversal for $6.4 million
If you feel like any of this applies to you, then you should contact your State Bar and ask for a lawyer that specializes in employment law.
5. If you’re feeling down after the election, research suggests senses of doom felt after an unfavorable election are greatly over-exaggerated.
Humans are the only animals which can not only imagine future events but also imagine how they will feel during those events. This is called effective forecasting and while humans can do it, they are very bad at it.
Further reading: Link