- In August 2015, Subway revealed on their Twitter that they broke a real Guinness World Record by managing to make the most sub sandwiches simultaneously. All of the proceeds went to local charities.
- In 1996, the first U.K. Subway store opened. Subway also launched their main website, subway.com.
- In January 2013, Subway managed to accumulate 20 million fans of their Facebook Social Media page.
- As it currently stands, U.S. Subways offer 16 alternative main sandwiches on their “All Sandwiches” section on their website, but the combination of D.I.Y. sandwiches and topping combinations is reportedly in the millions.
- In 1981, the 200th store was opened in Washington. Shortly after, their 300th opened only a year later, and their 5,000th by 1990.
- Subway was featured in the 90’s blockbuster hit Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
- In Seattle, 32 customers were part of a huge Subway controversy after contracting Hepatitis A in 1999. This was due to poor enforcement and implementation of food preparation processes.
- In 2013, Subway responded to challenges that their sandwiches were not 12 inches by saying the “footlong” is a descriptive name of the product and not an exact measurement.
- Overall Subway, actually has more chains than the fast-food juggernaut, McDonald’s!
- Subway has only offered the option of toasting your creation as of 2005, and even though this is the integral part of so many customers sandwiches, there is a ruling being disputed in the U.K. to charge the customer for the pleasure of having it toasted due to VAT changes.
- Dick Pilchen is the longest employee of Subway. He first gained employment in 1968 and is currently working in their U.S. Headquarters after working his way through the ranks.
- Project Subway was a fashion show created by the lunchtime heroes to create Subway-themed outfits and designs by rising stars of the fashion world. It took place in 2013 and 2014 asking designers to utilize everything from napkins and gift cards, to store-stocked veggies.
- Subway is potentially introducing the new “subway” with touchscreen ordering options, USB-charging, and of course, Wi-Fi.
- In 2016, Subway Ireland and U.K. had a whopping $680 million turnover, and are planning by 2020 to have 5,000 new jobs on offer.
- If you will like to declare your love the old fashioned way, you can send a letter to 325 Sub Way in Milford, Connecticut. This is the address of the world headquarters of the sandwich giant.
So there we have it, from the worst choices to legal cases about sandwich measurements, Subway sure has its fair share of amazing and odd facts!
I for one, no matter what they say about the chain, will continue to love a good lunchtime 6-inch sub with all the trimmings.
(Visited 20 times, 1 visits today)