- The perfect soil for growing bananas must contain a ph. of between 5.5 and 6.5 and must not be salty or too cold. One of the biggest problems for bananas is root rot which is caused by the soil being too cold, along with other factors.
- A green banana has very high starch content – as the fruit yellows, this starch turns into sugars.
- In 2010, an American man named Ashrita Furman took the title of “Most Bananas snapped in 1 minute” by breaking 99 of the yellow fruit with both hands in 60 seconds.
- In 2012, a resident of Illinois managed to break a world record by peeling and consuming 8 whole bananas in 60 seconds.
- In 2001, a bunch of bananas took the title of the “largest bunch of bananas.” It held 473 individual bananas or “fingers” and weighed a whopping 287lbs (130 kg). It was grown in the Canary Islands.
- A banana is made of about 75% water, which isn’t very much compared to other healthy wonders like the cucumber or radish which has 96% and 95% respectively.
- In 2018, a banana plant hidden in a Yorkshire van hire company’s office actually started to sprout fruit after being dormant for an entire decade.
- The banana we all know and love is under threat from the same disease that struck the predecessor. Panama disease is rife amongst the Cavendish variety (the common variety) after being identified in Africa in the mid 2010’s.
- The banana is produced asexually because it’s a sterile species, which makes it basically a clone of elder.
- The Latin name for banana is “musa sapientum” which translates to fruit of the wise men.
- A “Banana Republic” is a region that is solely sufficient on one single resource for its income.
- Leather products like handbags or shoes can be polished with the inside of a banana skin, simply rub it on and wipe off with a rag.
- The 2014, Ig Nobel Prize in Physics was won by a team who discovered the reason why bananas are so slippery. As it turns out, it is all down to the polysaccharide molecules in the peel, a substance also found in our joints.
- We all know bananas flavoring tastes nothing like a real banana, but according to a Gros Michel cultivator (the original commercial banana), the artificial flavor does taste very similar to this variety.
- In Cairo you can buy papyrus from market stalls which is most often built from banana leaves.
So there we have it, 30 facts to make you go bananas about, well… bananas. The humble curved fruit has an amazing array of health benefits and is actually invaluable in the hunt for the perfect prosthetic.
One thing is for certain, the lunchbox staple will now have a little more respect from me every day from now on.
(Visited 80 times, 1 visits today)